沙发
     楼主| 发表于 16 小时前 | 只看该作者
    本帖最后由 indy 于 2024-9-26 17:22 编辑

Sorry,排版太差没法看

[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]
    SubscribeSign in

[color=var(--color-fg-primary)][backcolor=var(--color-light-bg-primary)]
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Read in the Substack app

[color=var(--color-light-bg-primary)]Open app

[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Transcript: The Case Against the China Consensus, with Jessica Chen Weiss of SAIS[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]

[color=var(--color-primary-themed)][color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Kaiser Y Kuo
    [color=var(--color-secondary-themed)]Sep 26, 2024
    [color=var(--color-secondary-themed)]∙ Paid

[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))][url=][color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]8
    [/url]

[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))][color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]1
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))][url=][/url]

[backcolor=var(--color_theme_bg_contrast_1, var(--color-bg-secondary)) !important]
    [color=var(--print_secondary_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-secondary)) !important][size=0.875]1×

[color=var(--color-fg-primary) !important][size=0.875]
    0:00

-52:58

[backcolor=var(--web_bg_color, var(--color-bg-primary)) !important]

[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Listen to the audio in the embedded player above, or read the complete transcript below. Thanks to the great folks at CadreSripts.com, to intern Keya Zhou for the image, and Lili Shoup for checking and formatting the transcript and inserting all the links!
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Kaiser Kuo: Welcome to the Sinica Podcast, a weekly discussion of current affairs in China. In this program, we’ll look at books, ideas, new research, intellectual currents, and cultural trends that can help us better understand what’s happening in China’s politics, foreign relations, economics, and society. Join me each week for in-depth conversations that shed more light and bring less heat to how we think and talk about China. I’m Kaiser Kuo, coming to you from Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Sinica is supported this year by the Center for East Asian Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, a national resource center for the study of East Asia. The Sinica Podcast will remain free, but if you work for an organization that believes in what I am doing with the podcast, please consider lending your support. You can get me at [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]sinicapod@gmail.com.
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]And listeners, please support my work at [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]www.sinicapodcast.com. Become a subscriber and enjoy, in addition to the podcast, the complete transcript of the show, a weekly essay from me —  not always weekly, but, you know, weekly-ish essay from me — and writings and podcasts from some of your favorite China-focused columnists and commentators like James Carter, Paul French, Andrew Methven, and, of course, Eric Olander and Cobus van Staden at the China Global South Project.
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]With just weeks, now, before the U.S. election, I imagine that listeners all over the world have given quite a bit of thought to just how the results of the election will affect U.S.-China relations. This will, after all, have global consequences. Earlier this week, Foreign Affairs published an article that really caught my attention for its direct relevance to this question titled “The Case Against the China Consensus: Why the Next American President Must Steer Toward a Better Future.” The essay’s author is Jessica Chen Weis, a name [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]doubtless [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]familiar to everyone who listens to Sinica. Jessica is now David M. Lampton Professor of China Studies at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, SAIS, a Senior Fellow at the Asian Society Policy Institute Center for China Analysis, and a former member of the U.S. State Department’s policy planning staff. She previously taught at Cornell University.
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Most importantly, though, Jessica is the pole star for many Americans who work on China, and there are many of us who see the urgency in course-correcting American policy toward China, which to many of us now seems headed toward an intolerable, horrific outcome. Jessica has the ability to argue her ideas forcefully and rationally. She’s been arguing not only that American policy has been built largely on incorrect assumptions about what China wants. [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]I spoke to her, if you recall, about her widely read essay on China not seeking to displace the U.S. as the global hegemon, but seeking instead to “make the world safe for autocracy,” as she put it, but also that the U.S. has not made clear what it wants from China, it has not advanced what she once called “an affirmative vision of a world with China in it.”
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Her latest essay takes a critical look at the current U.S. approach to China, characterized by open-ended competition and a hardening consensus on China as a threat, or is it a consensus? She contends, anyway, that this approach lacks clear metrics for success and risks undermining American values and interests. She calls for a more balanced policy that reduces risks while preserving the benefits of U.S.-China ties. Jessica joins me this week to talk about this essay, some important earlier writings of hers, the upcoming election, and her new position at Johns Hopkins SAIS. Jessica Chen Weiss, welcome back to Sinica. Great to see you.
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Jessica Chen Weiss: Thanks so much for having me back, Kaiser.
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Kaiser: So, how are you settling in at Johns Hopkins?
    [color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Jessica: Things are great. It’s been a beautiful time to be in D.C. The only challenge is finding time to exhale, that there’s so many awesome things happening.

[color=var(--print_on_pop)]Keep reading with a 7-day free trial

[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Subscribe to Sinica to keep reading this post and get 7 days of free access to the full post archives.

[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, var(--color-fg-primary))]Start trial
    Already a paid subscriber? Sign in

PreviousNext

[color=var(--print_secondary, var(--print_secondary_on_web_bg_color, var(--print_secondary, var(--color-fg-secondary))))][backcolor=var(--background_contrast_1)]© 2024 The Sinica Podcast
    PrivacyTermsCollection notice

[color=var(--print_secondary, var(--color-fg-secondary))][backcolor=var(--color-bg-primary)]Start Writing
    [color=var(--print_secondary, var(--color-fg-secondary))][backcolor=var(--color-bg-primary)]Get the app

Substack is the home for great culture

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

手机版|小黑屋|Archiver|网站错误报告|爱吱声   

GMT+8, 2024-9-27 22:15 , Processed in 0.033043 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On.